Chickpea Salad Bowls
Another great easy appetizer that also makes the perfect side dish or salad course. I chose iceberg lettuce bowls because they are more readily available all year long. Belgian endive is another great lettuce to use.
Makes 4 boats
- 2 table. EVOO
- Favacchio EVOO for drizzling
- 1 table. Florida Orange Balsamic
- 4 leaves of iceberg lettuce or whatever you prefer
- 1 can drained and rinsed chickpeas
- 3 finely chopped scallions (use most of the green ends as well)
- 1 handful of fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1 teas Calabrian Chili Paste
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1/4 teas sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Arrange the lettuce leaves on a platter and chill in the fridge.
In a medium bowl whisk together the EVOO , orange balsamic vinegar, sea salt and red pepper or chili paste. Gently toss in the chickpeas, tomatoes and fresh herbs. Season with black pepper to taste.
Remove chilled lettuce boats from the fridge and fill with chickpea mixture. Drizzle the chickpea boats with the finishing EVOO and serve immediately or return to the fridge until ready to serve and drizzle this EVOO just before serving.