Bean Salad Boats
This easy appetizer also makes the perfect side dish or salad course served with any grilled meat, fish or fowl. I found this red leaf romaine at a summer farmer's market in Warwick New York but regular romaine , iceberg bowls or even Belgian endive are more readily available all year long. The key to this is using our EVOO from Sicily. Its fresh grassy flavor with a pronounced finish gives the bean salad its distinct appeal.
Makes 4 boats
- 2 teaspoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 leaves of red leaf romaine, green romaine, or iceberg lettuce
- 1 can drained and rinsed Navy beans
- 3 finely chopped scallions (use most of the green ends as well)
- 1 handful of fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1/4 teas sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Arrange the lettuce leaves on a platter and chill in the fridge.
In a medium bowl pour the EVOO and vinegar into the bottom. Gently toss in the beans, tomatoes and fresh herbs. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and sea salt. Season with black pepper to taste.
Remove chilled lettuce boats from the fridge and fill with bean mixture. Drizzle the bean boats with additional EVOO and serve immediately or return to the fridge until ready to serve and drizzle additional EVOO before serving.