Iced Lemon Olive Oil Cookies
Rich, lemony and “OMG delicious!” Vegan too.
Makes about 5 dozen ( this recipe can be cut in half)
- 4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups less 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup lemon olive oil
- 1 cup of EVOO, Trampolini is best :
- zest of 3 lemons
- Juice of 3 lemons (you will need 4 total, 1 for the icing)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking soda together a large bowl. Preferably using a stand mixer and the paddle attachment.
- In medium bowl, stir together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice of 3 lemons and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then mix lightly until it resembles wet sand but it should form a solid clump easily in your hands.
- Using your hands, roll dough into 1″ balls .
- Roll each ball in extra sugar
- Put the cookies about 1” apart on parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for about 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons softened butter (use 1 1/2 tablespoon of lemon EVOO to be completely vegan)
- sprinkle of salt
Cream the butter (or lemon EVOO) in a bowl with a few tablespoons of the sugar and the sprinkle of salt.
Add the lemon juice and blend well so there are no lumps. Add 1 cup more sugar blending well adding 1 additional cup at a time until you create a smooth glaze-like icing that has the consistency of honey. Depending on the amount of juice in your lemon, you may need to add up to 1 tablespoon of water to reach the desired consistency. (It needs to be thick enough to coat the cookie but too thin to be spreadable.)
Dip each cookie upside down into the icing to cover the the top, hold upside down for a few seconds to allow for excess to drip off. Place cookies on waxed paper to dry the icing (30 minutes) If any icing remains you can double dip some of the cookies. Let dry completely before storing in an airtight container.