Linguine alle Vongole- Linguine with White Clam Sauce
A favorite with my children since they could chew, this recipe is quick, easy and delish ! I recommend that you do not put grated cheese on top of this dish. It drastically alters the flavor. If you must, please t try it first without the cheese. That is the true Italian way to appreciate the clams together with the pasta.
- 3 dozen littleneck clams- scrubbed (you can also substitute a 1lb. container of fresh frozen chopped clams like Sam’s Clams)
- 1 large Vidalia (sweet) onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup white wine, if you have it
- 1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil ( our Favacchio or Trampolini Black Label are best)
- 1 lb. linguine or spaghetti– do NOT use thinner varieties
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Favacchio EVOO for finishing
Begin to boil the water for the pasta. Cook pasta as directed and toss with a few tablespoons of olive oil while waiting for the clam sauce to finish.
While the pasta is cooking , sauté the onions and garlic in the 1/4 cup of olive oil slowly until they are caramelized.
Add in the clams and turn up the heat to med-high. Cover for 3 minutes.
Remove the cover and add in the wine tossing the clams. Cover again for another 2 minutes.
Check that the clams have opened. If any remain closed remove them from the pan.
Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh parsley and add the fresh ground pepper.
Pour clams and all of the juice over the pasta and toss around to cover the pasta well.
Let sit about 2 minutes and toss again.
Plate the pasta shells and all. Drizzle each plate with finishing EVOO. If you would like a special zing toss in a spoonful of our Calabrian chili paste … yummmm Buon appetito !!